Ann Morgan, a member of our World Church Team, is taking part in a 5 Day sponsored Trek in Israel from Nazareth to Capernaum on the “Jesus Trail” retracing the steps of Jesus.  Ann hopes to raise at least £1000 to help to renovate the Maternity Unit in the hospital in Nazareth which is funded by the Scottish Charity “The Nazareth Trust”.  If you would like to sponsor her please use the sponsor sheets at the back of the Church or you can go online to or speak to her after Church. The proceeds of the first  World Church Team Coffee Morning of 2019 on Saturday, 2nd February will go the Nazareth Hospital, please come along and enjoy some coffee, cake and fellowship. 





  Dumfries and Kirkcudbright

  Interim Minister

  John Collard

  Period of Interim Ministry

  June 2017 - Present (5/12/18)

  1. What impact has the interim ministry process had on your church?
  • Overcoming difficulties together has given the congregation a new sense of vision and confidence for the future.
  • The congregation have confidence in their ability to discuss even contentious matters in a constructive way. They are able to respect individual points of view and have experienced greater harmony in their fellowship.
  • There has been a strengthening of the spiritual life of the congregation through a new focus on prayer.
  • Better governance has been established in finance and through the Unitary Constitution.
  • There has been a “clearing out of rubbish” – both actual and spiritual.
  • New things are happening:  10 new elders were ordained and admitted, a new organist has been appointed, Messy Church has begun and an Alpha programme is planned.
  • Increased church attendance and more regular attendance.
  • A new way forward has been found for Atkinson Place.
  • There is a culture of welcome in the church and this welcome is beginning to impact the church’s profile in the community.
  1. What needs to happen next to enhance the life of the church and build on its achievements
  • Further consolidation of the Unitary Constitution - working in teams.
  • Consolidation of the good practice now established. This especially important as the Building Team continues its work.
  • Continuing to recognise and use the skills and talents present in the congregation.
  • The challenge to use the vacancy positively. It is a time to continue the move forward not for inertia.
  • Keeping up good communication.
  • Using the time John has left with the congregation to prepare for vacancy.
  • Employment of a new Youth Worker.
  1. What further support from the Presbytery and national church would be helpful to this church?
  • The congregation are ready for Presbytery to restore the Right to Call.
  • When Presbytery appoint an Interim Moderator, the congregation would be best supported in the vacancy by an Interim Moderator who is able to help them continue their new vision and ways of working as they go through vacancy. The Interim Moderator should have the time and skill to accompany the congregation in the work begun in Interim Ministry.
  • When appointing an Interim Moderator Presbytery should bear in mind the variety of people in the congregation from a range of different denominational backgrounds. Also, the link with Barcaple and the thread of theological thinking that brings to the congregation.
  1. Further comments.
  • The TSG commend the work done by this congregation over their time of Interim Ministry. They have tackled difficult issues and emerged with deepened faith and increased confidence.
  • This congregation has huge potential for further growth.
  • The congregation are encouraged to continue to take their view of new ministry into the vacancy.



Every Church of Scotland congregation is responsible for its own costs and these are met through the giving of the church members. Part of our vows of church membership is a promise to ‘give a fitting proportion of my time, talents and money for the Church’s work in the world.’ Exactly what a ‘fitting proportion’ might be, is left to the individual to decide. The urging of the New Testament is to give generously and even sacrificially (Romans 12v8, Mark 12v43-44). And the Old Testament practice was of tithing – giving a tenth (Deuteronomy 14v22). Certainly in churches where tithing is the norm, there is not usually a difficultly with income! 

So members have the opportunity to contribute to Church Funds in various ways - Open Plate, Envelopes, or Standing Order.

The most beneficial of these from the Church’s point of view is regular payment by standing order or by weekly envelopes. If you are a tax payer then this can be enhanced through Gift Aid. This allows us to reclaim tax at 25% of the amount donated.  

So, £100 donated by a member is worth £125 to the Church.

Gift Aided offerings can be made by envelope –weekly, and different amounts each week if desired, or by standing order per month or any other period suitable to the member. Payments need not be fixed for any period and can be stopped at any time. Non taxpayers can still pay by standing order or freewill envelope. We would encourage you to review your payment method and, if you do not already do so, consider using one of the more regular methods by contacting Margo Kerr- our Gift Aid and Free Will Offering Administrator at who can provide details on how to proceed. 


Badminton has been played for at least fifty years by ladies in the Church Hall on Thursday afternoons. Originally by young mothers but now a very small group who are not quite so young. We don’t want to see the club disbanded, so please come and join us or tell any friends about us. We are open to all who would like some exercise and companionship. We play from 2.00pm - 4.00pm through the winter months and break for a cup of tea or coffee. We have spare racquets so just come along and give it a try. Beginners more than welcome. 


The large post box for used postage stamps has been replaced by a small red box at the back of the church to receive your stamps for World mission. Please save all your stamps of us. Even the common ones have value.

The stamps are at present supporting the Giffen Institute of Theology (GIT) of the Presbyterian Church of South Sudan (PCOSS) who need books. Having recently relocated to Kakuma, a refugee camp in Kenya, GIT is looking to stock up its library for students. This year’s stamp appeal will help do just that.

GIT was established in 1974 by the PCOSS. It plays a significant role in training people for ministry. However, South Sudan has suffered terrible violence and war in recent years, and GIT has been forced to relocate twice. Resources, including books, were lost or destroyed during this tumultuous time.

The Institute not only provides valuable education for students, but supports those who have fled from war through providing training on concentration, and activities encouraging reconciliation between students from different tribes.

Margaret Hughes